Thursday 18 December 2014

Kasane: Safari Wonderland


All roads lead to another country
 
Flight SA 8823 to Kasane is now boarding…  What started off as a wish on my bucket list a few years ago finally became a dream come true. I have always wanted to travel with my mother, as we sat chatting away it dawned on me how privileged I was to have this moment.  The weeks prior to the trip I merely told her that we were going somewhere.  Part of the mystery was the destination,  with over 35 destinations to choose from which would be the best spot to take a wildlife enthusiast for a long weekend away?

We grew up watching wildlife shows with my mother, every Sunday was Wildlife Sunday from deep sea diving to the Kruger National Park.  She soaked in every moment and wished aloud to one day witness all these furry-scaly creatures in their habitat.  
 
Finally she finds out where she is going!
After a bit of research I settled on taking my mother to Kasane in Botswana, a wildlife wonderland that is the Gateway to the Chobe National Park.  Kasane is unique as it is based at the “four corners” junction a spot where 4 countries meet; Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Namibia. 

We stayed at Mowana- Safari Resort and Spa which is situated right on the banks of the Chobe Riverfront.  I was looking for convenience and comfort with only a few days to take in everything,  I didn’t want to be bothered with driving or having to play guide. We breezed through customs fighting the sweltering heat that greeted us upon our arrival.   We found solace in the air-conditioned transfer that would get us to Mowana.  I was pleasantly surprised at how accommodating our guide was, he shared some history about Kasane, answered my 120 questions about Botswana and happily took pictures of my mother and I to mark our first time in Kasane.

Cruising along
 
We arrived just in time to check-in, drop-off our bags and head out on the Chobe River Cruise.  This was absolutely breath-taking.  I think trying to explain the beauty of this place will require me channelling Jane Austen.
The blessings in life are found in these moments of splendour
 
It’s really nothing that can be put into words but something certainly worth experiencing.   Our Captain Chris who is really knowledgeable shared some insightful facts about the River, both my mother and I were like kids in an amusement park.

Hello Namibia!
After 3 hours of sunset-wildlife-bliss we docked in time to refresh and get ready for dinner.  A full buffet with game such as Kudu on offer, it was definitely a feast fit for a Queen. Stuffed and eager for an early morning game drive we retreated to our room.  I loved how inviting and bug proof it was; I’m not a fan of mosquitoes, after all my idea of a good time is not waking up the next day looking like Noddy.

Ellies!!!!!!!!!!!
 
The drive was my mother’s first ever game drive and what a sight it was.  Kasane is well known for the 84 000 yes! 84 000 elephants that roam through the park. Even though the wild requires you to come empty open to possibility, without a list of expectations, I secretly hoped we would catch a glimpse of these majestic creatures.  Our luck paid out as we came across a herd of Ellies. We were so excited at how close we were,  that we just snapped away in ecstasy.

Turns out I got my chattiness from my mum,
whilst she was making friends I was observing elements of myself
 
After that drive our day was made and we had no intentions but to spend the rest of our days between the spa and infinity pool, lazing about soaking in the sun with the coolest mom in the world. Did I choose the right place?  I certainly did for Botswana is rich in wildlife and it’s clearly respected by the people considering how many bush pigs roam the streets freely and at peace.       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin